There are innumerable variations of this classic Waldorf recipe. Here's a very popular version:
- 3 medium golden delicious or red delicious apples, cored
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 dash salt
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- Mixed salad greens
Chop the apples into half-inch cubes without peeling them and sprinkle with sugar, salt and lemon. Add the walnuts and celery and fold in the mayonnaise. Serve on a bed of the mixed green salad.
Popular variations include adding a little ground allspice to the sprinkling mixture, and adding a whipped cream topping.
A substantial yet delicate salad ideal for picnics:
- 150g bulgur
- 500g peeled and blended tomatoes
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 teaspoon tomato puree
- 3-4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- pinch or more of chilli flakes to taste
- pinch of salt (optional)
- 1 white onion or 5 spring onions finely chopped
- 100g walnut pieces
Mix the bulgur with the blended tomatoes, lemon juice and tomato puree. Leave for an hour or until the grain has absorbed the liquid and become tender. Add the oil, salt and chillies, mix well and set aside.
Just before serving fold in the onions and walnuts.